Kashmir Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UNESCO Concerned at Media Plight in Kashmir

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Media

UNESCO Concerned at Media Plight in Kashmir Empty
PostSubject: UNESCO Concerned at Media Plight in Kashmir   UNESCO Concerned at Media Plight in Kashmir Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 am

The Director-General of UNESCO, Koïchiro Matsuura, today deplored the death of television cameraman Javed Ahmed Mir and voiced concern for the safety of journalists in Kashmir.
“I deplore the death of Javed Ahmed Mir,” the Director-General said in a statement a copy of which was sent to Kashmir Observer.
“I trust that the authorities will do all in their power to shed light on this crime and that the condition necessary for the media to exercise its functions be improved. It is essential for democracy and rule of law,” Mr Matsuura said.
UNESCO chief said that “journalists be able to exercise their profession freely and contribute to informed debate. Stifling debate only breeds frustration and violence, which is why I urge the authorities to support journalists in Kashmir.”
Javed Ahmed Mir, 35, was shot while covering a demonstration near Bagh-e-Mehtab on 13 August. Kashmir has been subject to a wave of pro-independence demonstrations over the past weeks.
Paris based Reporters without Borders said in its report that at least 32 journalists have been beaten by members of the security forces since the start of the demonstrations and about ten of them have been hospitalized. Three journalists representing Indian channels were reported to have been attacked by mobs
Back to top Go down

UNESCO Concerned at Media Plight in Kashmir
Page 1 of 1